Thursday 20 September 2007

The boys of history

Last weekend was a weekend for fabulously happy firsts in our little family.

For context, we have discussed in past posts the tendency of a few of the writers of this blog to give their children nicknames involving the word "Moo". In my case, the younger of my boys is almost never address without "moo" being suffixed to his name, or to some other word entirely. He very patiently answers to anything, including "Moosey-moo".

Anyway, picture if you will a very stupid mug which has a ceramic cow's head stuck to the base (inside the cup). This ridiculous feature is undetectable when the mug is full of coffee, with the result that unsuspecteing guests often get a small surprise when, after a few sips of coffee, a cow's head mysteriously appears.

As you can imagine, I find this utterly hilarious.

I happened to be drinking from this mug while having breakfast with my boys last Saturday, and they too were quite fasscinated as first the ears, then the eyes and nose, and finally the whole head of the cow appeared. The pused regularly in eating their Rice Bubbles to lean over as close to the cup as possible and say "moooooo".

As a matter of history, that was our very first "Cherub moo"

This weekend also saw the first time the boys had taken a ride on a real steam train, thanks to the good folks at steamrail.com.au.

And it was a most pleasant afternoon jaunt from Mitcham to Camberwell and back. I recommend this to anyone.

Finally, and most wonderfully, this Sunday night was the night when, after three years of saying "Goodnight Bundle, sleep sweet, I love you", finally, finally, I heard a little voice say "I love you too".

In the heavens, the choirs sang and the angels danced, and in that darkened bedroom my heart ached with joy, and I knew that I would not trade that moment for all the riches in the world, for nowhere on God's earth was there a happier man than me.

3 comments:

actonb said...

Aw, bless...

It's a very particular joy, that small voice declaring love. It's like when they are giving you a hug and won't let go, clinging on to you with all their strength.

Thanks INC, for sharing that joy!

Anonymous said...

That's so beautiful. My little dude is 2 and always says, "bye" when he goes to sleep, I always say 'night, night'. To tell the truth, the fact that he says 'bye' scares me sh*tless, I always want to tell him, "Don't say bye! Don't go anywhere! Stay with me!" But I just say, again, "Ok night, night, I'll check on you in a minute. I love you!" I can't wait for the day he says it back to me - I imagine it's the most special moment, just like you've described.

Oh and 'HI' by the way, I've been lurking awhile via google reader. I really enjoy your posts.

I'm not Craig said...

Actonb
You are right, those hugs are too good for the English language to have any hope of describing properly.

Valkyrie

Hey, thanks. I'm glad you've got that moment to look forward to, it is absolutely worth the wait, like so many other awesome moments of parenting.

My one year old Cherub says "bye" at all sorts of odd times. I have no idea why children do this but they do stop at some point.

I'm glad you've been enjoying these posts. I am going to go and read your blog RIGHT NOW.