Thursday 31 May 2007

In the Blood

Proof I must be doing a Relatively Good Job (or How Indoctrination is Working For Me):

Last night I was presented with

~ 3 Scholastic Book Club order forms

and

~ Permission Notes for 'Sport for Life' gym and contemporary dance classes at school.

Now, being in the same boat as pretty much anyone else out there with school age children and a mortgage, money is short supply at Chez B. And therefore the weekly school newsletter bearing yet more chirpy paragraphs requesting funds for this, that and the other, is a thing to be dreaded. I pay my taxes, I pay the 'voluntary' contribution to the school (So voluntary that we were sent an invoice this year! And then a statement saying we were outside terms (wtf?!)), but the constant 'extras' we're being asked to pay for really gets my goat. And dressing it up in terms of how these classes contribute to different aspects of the curriculum actually just contribute to my rising blood pressure.

Sorry, will control my ranting on this here blog...

Anyhowdles, this morning I was going through the book club pamphlet and picked out a number of books. They're not the ones the kids want (Design your Own Paper Fashions!), but instead include 'Scholastic Dictionary of Antonyms, Synonyms and Homonyms', 'My Australian Story: Refugee' and 'My Australian Story: Stolen Generation' (yes, we're happy to spend our money on ensuring we raise Happy Little Lefties)(Happy Little Christian Lefties - oh the conflicting ideologies!). Then I realised that I was about to spend $70 on books. The 'Sport for Life' classes were going to cost $70. I decided to give my children the choice - (Non-Compulsory) sport classes or books?


They both chose the books.

I am so proud of them!

2 comments:

gigglewick said...

Your kids are ace!

And who knew there was "My Australian Story: The STolen Generation"?

actonb said...

They are pretty ace.

There's all sorts of perfect indoctrination texts available in our Maoist Public School System... you just need to know where to look!