Tuesday 12 February 2008

what's for dinner tonight?

we were at msac earlier.

young d and i are watching his 2 sisters in their swimming lesson.

young d asks me: what's for dinner tonight?

me: guess

young d [eye's lighting up]: pizza!

me: nope

young d [eye's still afire]: lasagne!

me [eye's getting twitchy]: no

young d: [still hopeful]: tacos!

me: no! i'll tell you... COUS-COUS!!!! [voice is very excited, kind of like "wow wouldn't that be the best thing ever that you would like to eat?]"

young d: oh.

and note he says this not as "oh" as in simple disappointment; he also adds a twist of comedy to it, making it a comedic "oh", and that makes it worse than just a disappointed "oh".

[someone once told me ages ago, oh alright it was my ex-husband, that when he was less than complimentary about the food i cooked, i shouldn't take it personally.]

NOT TAKE IT PERSONALLY?

how can a woman, who has cooked for her loved ones, and then had a nose turn up or similar, not take it personally?

i am sure i represent all women and/or cooks when i say this.


[insert little vignette here, now we are back home]


princess just came in the room: ooh, something smells nice, what's for dinner...

me: COUS COUS!!

[pause]

me: WITH CHICKEN!!!!!

princess: yum!

me: and i left the carcass out there for you to strip

[princess makes sound of ravenous beast, flaps her arms, and runs to the kitchen. there are now the sounds of feasting from that direction, like some sort of stephen king monster.]

you can't please everyone, all of the time. this i know to be true.

i am glad my daughter shares my genes; the love of stripping a chicken carcass, neck and all. it's passed down the female side in my family.

4 comments:

gigglewick said...

Hee hee! I do that too (the over-excited voice in order to engender excitement).

Luckily for me cous cous is one of Grizzlewick's favourite foods. On the other hand, he doesn't eat pasta. What kind of child does not eat pasta, I ask you!

And it's always personal. Always. I take it personally that Mr Fix does not like cous cous or fetta cheese, even though these are dislikes that predate me by some twenty years.

I'm not Craig said...

What kind of child does not eat pasta? Well, one of my two, for starters. Then again, Bundle also refuses pretty well everything except grapes, muesli bars, chicken nuggets, bread and tortillas, and no amount of engendering excitement through vocal pyrotechnics seems to help.

I don't think the refusal to eat meat is a matter of principle, though. Last time we dropped into Babyco, Bundle found a plastic duck and annouce "Oh, I think I'll cook this for dinner" and promptly stuck it in the boot of a toy car, drove it to the nearest cubby house and placed it on the toy stove.

Now I just need to get him to show the same enthusiasm for ACTUAL FOOD.

franzy said...

Yeah - I take it personally too. I always felt a bit guilty when I got all pouty over my folks' cooking ...

Then my wife-to-be turned up and showed me how delicious vegies actually are if you cover them in olive oil, lemon juice, (cooked) tomato sauces, etc. Gotta love an Italian upbringing ...

Lavender said...

LearnHowToPlayTheViolin.info These are also wonders why this instrument is one of the most sought after. Also, included in this article are the things that you may want to know for you to have the best violin experience. When it comes to paying it, you may learn some of the basic that even a professional idler always try to carry out. Learning about the posture is one of the secrets for you to have a tireless way of playing the instrument. You may try to look in front of a mirror for you to asses your posture by maintaining a straight posture at all times. On how to hold the violin properly is also a consideration for you to take. Using your left hand to have a good position of the neck of the violin and gripping it using your thumb and your second finger is one of the beginning steps. In order for you to have the correct tune most of the time, you have to make sure that you know how to hold the bow properly. You may do so by positioning your thumb at the groove of the bow. At the end of the bow, you may rest your little finger and then the rest of the fingers will wrap around the frog of the bow. violin shoulder rest parts violin bows weight violins for sale seattle violin solo youtube violin cases reviews suzuki violin 1 2 violin bow makers list violin bows for sale in south africa