Thursday 24 April 2008

I know every tune about dardi-cars and hurts and hearts and moons

So Grizzlewick went on his first excursion yesterday, to the botanical gardens.

He came home pleased as punch after what he considers to be his first ride on a bus (actually we used the bus frequently when in Preston, but don’t try telling him that).

Also, he was excited about the cannon in the gardens, which I understand was clambered over by many an over-excited young child.

It also prompted the following conversation:

Grizzlewick: So mummy, the cannon doesn’t work now.

Me: Mmm-hmmmm…

Grizzlewick: But in the old days, it used to go peow peow peow!

Me: Uh-huh….

Grizzlewick: Yes! And it used to shoot at the dardi-cars!

Me: ???!!!

Subsequent conversations have been unable to tease out the true identity of the “dardi-cars”.

My thoughts are initially that

a) he made it up entirely or
b) he means the “Dardanelles”, in which case I have to wonder why my son is being provided with a detailed history of military campaigns and ordinance.

Any advances on these thoughts?

3 comments:

I'm not Craig said...

I would guess 'armoured cars', but if it's the cannon that I'm thinking of then someone's grasp of military history is not great.

Alternatively, it is possible that a teacher didn't know the answer and just decided to improvise wildly, in which case my guess would be Daleks (in cars).

I'm really hoping that the next commenter does better.

Melba said...

i don't know about the dardi-cars, sorry, but it amazed me that princess used the very same word "peow" years ago when she was about 2 or 3 to describe pistol fire. what is THAT all about? do they have some sort of mini kindy urban dictionary going on?

meva said...

Maybe the cannons were pointed towards Chapel Street?

Don't ask me why, but it sound right.