Friday 30 March 2007

Fleetwood Wick

For some reason, when Grizzlewick was a baby (around the six-month mark), we took to calling him “Mr Moo”. I don’t know why we did this – there were no cow books, it wasn’t one of those family nicknames that gets passed down the generations, it was just something we called him and it stuck.

Around the same time, I seemed to be hearing an awful lot of ‘Tusk’ by Fleetwood Mac. I’m not sure why this is either, I don’t own a copy*. I think it was a combination of the café we were regularly frequenting and visits to my parents’ house. Of course, the net result of this was a rendering of the brass band sections of this song to encompass the following lyrics:

Mister Moo
Mister Moo
Mister Mister Mister Moo
Mister Moo
Mister Moo Moo MOO MOO!

Now that’s a lovely little song if your child giggles insanely every time you sing it. But like the lyrics of James Reyne tracks, it’s not the best thing to be muttering under your breath while walking down the street. I’m not sure if it’s better or worse than:

‘Somebody told me’

Somebody told me that you were a grizzle
A mister the grizzle
That wanted to grizzle grizzle and grizzle
It’s not confidential
That he’s got potential
For rushing and rushing around

I’m going to be one of those embarrassing mothers.



* some would argue that this makes me “above it all” in a coolsie way. Others would suggest that I need to “respect the classics man” and obtain a copy with all speed.

4 comments:

actonb said...

I have called each and every one of my girls 'missy moo'. How very very strange.
Even if you thnk you're one of 'those' mothers, you'll still be the coolsiest one in town!

gigglewick said...

Actonb,

Strange indeed!

Also should note that most songs end up being about Grizzlewick and/or the cat, e.g.

Boof knows of an ancient radiation
That haunts the houses of MacPherson* and Station**
A faintly glimmering mouse infestation


(Frank Sinatra, by Cake, reworked to be sung to our old cat, Boof)

* where we lived
** and again

I'm not Craig said...

Wow, popular nickname. Cherub is variously known as Cherub-Moo, Cherub Moose or just Moosie.

Hearing Bundle calling "Moosie" across the Adelaide Airport departure lounge because his brother had wandered off was exceptionally sweet.

Mountjoy said...

Bah! Tusk is rubbish. All that tension from the studio while they recorded Rumours ebbed away, and they did it for the money. Naff songs, and a double album of songs that should have been pared down to a single disc. If you have the Greatest Hits disc, you have all the Tusk you need.