Monday 26 March 2007

The Negotiator


Overheard at this weekend's three-year-old birthday party:

Cricket: Maybe you should give that toy (a newly acquired monster truck
that doting grandparents had given Cricket for his birthday) to me.

Grizzlewick: No, I'm still playing with it.

Cricket: But I am too big for this one (pointing out a ride-on ladybird)
and you are not too big for it. Maybe I should have the car.

Grizzlewick: But maybe it is my turn to play with it.

Cricket: Oh. Okay.
I love their use of the word "maybe" - like they are in any way open to negotiation.


In other news, Grizzlewick wrote his name for the first time on Friday (Urngh! accompanied by GRIMACE!!! and then followed very closely by GLOWING PRIDE OF MOTHERHOOD) and rode a horse for the first time yesterday.

I
am so proud I can't even swear.

6 comments:

meva said...

Well, maybe I love your posts, gw.

Like THAT's open for negotiation.

actonb said...

Glowing Pride of Motherhood is a powerful force. It should be bottled and then we would have no energy crisis! Or water crisis either, as it makes tears well for no apparent reason...

actonb said...

It's not 5:12am. I think we need to talk to our Technophobe about this...

I'm not Craig said...

I actually noticed that we appear to be on Venezualan time on this blog, and I can probably fix it, but it just semed appropriate, as the parent of a 10 month old, that my posts would appear to be written at around 3.00am...

I'll look into it.

And I love Gigglewick's posts too.

Melba said...

i remember much usage of maybe, when princess was younger.

it means "you must" or "you should" in their language and it really is very cute.

gigglewick said...

Melbournegirl,

Indeed - this is something I have come to understand.

GW